Grilled Flank Steak Sandwich
- Steak Grilling Blend works great as a rub on beef flank steak that's grilled and then stuffed into whole-wheat pita pockets. To keep the meat tender, let it rest before slicing thinly against the grain.
- Cook Time: 16 Minutes
- Yield: 2
- 1/2 medium tomato, cut into thick slices
- 2 whole-wheat pitas, cut in half
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup fat-free yogurt
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 thinly sliced small red onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp Steak Grilling Blend
- 1/4 cup peeled and chopped cucumber
- 1 lb beef flank steak
- Make the sauce by combining yogurt, cucumber and mint; set aside.
- Coat the flank steak with Steak Grilling Blend, pressing seasoning on steak with back of spoon.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill steak 5 to 6 minutes on each side for rare and 7 to 8 minutes for medium; do not overcook.
- Remove steak from grill and allow to rest 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slice steak as thin as possible against the grain.
- Open pita pocket and fill with steak, tomatoes, onions and lettuce, and drizzle with sauce.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Because you slice flank steak against the grain, you cut through its fibers and this helps to make the steak tender.
This inexpensive cut of beef has a broad surface and lends itself well to grilling using a rub.