- The key is to have about 1/3 of the cooked vegetables for the filling and the rest as the “bed” for serving. You can make this a one-pan meal if you scale down to 4 servings/breasts and use an oven-proof skillet. Simply line up the 4 stuffed chicken breasts on the used skillet and place in the oven to cook. Serves six.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 lbs total)
- 2 tablespoons Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning Blend—1 tsp per chicken breast*
- 6 large bell peppers (sweet varieties; red, yellow or orange), sliced into thin strips
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, (~juice of half lime), plus more wedges for serving
- 3oz reduced-fat cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- ½ to 1 cup reduced-fat Mexican shredded cheese blend
- Optional garnish: Finely sliced scallions and fresh cilantro, chopped.
*You can also swap in Dash Extra Spicy or Fiesta Lime Seasoning Blend
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
Place chicken breasts on a cutting board. Slice a lengthwise deep pocket into each breast to create a large cavity for filling.
- Mist a large skillet with nonstick oil spray and warm over medium heat. Add the peppers and onions, and sauté until they’re soft and caramelized, about 12 to 14 minutes, stirring frequently. Mix in the lime juice and remove pan from heat. Transfer about 2 cups of the cooked pepper mixture into a medium-sized mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly. Transfer the remaining cooked vegetables onto a dish to reserve for serving. Cover to keep this second batch warm.
- To the bowl with 2 cups cooked vegetables, add cream cheese and shredded cheese blend. Mix until well combined.
- Season each chicken breast with Dash seasoning (1 teaspoon per breast). Stuff the pepper-cheese mixture into each chicken pocket, pressing to pack in place.
- Preheat the same skillet over medium-high heat and mist liberally with nonstick oil spray. Sear each chicken breast in batches of three for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Transfer seared and stuffed chicken breast to the prepared baking sheet.
Place baking sheet in oven for about 15 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked and has reached an internal temperature of 165°. Serve the Fajita-Stuffed Chicken on top of the reserved sautéed peppers and onions and garnish with optional scallions and cilantro.