Skip to content
Twice Baked Butternut Squash
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
- 2 lb. butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- Cooking spray
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. Dash™ Onion & Herb Seasoning Blend
- 1 C. low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 C. quick cooking brown rice
- ¼ C. water
- 5 oz. baby spinach
- 1 – 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ C. low-fat shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ C. toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray with non-stick spray.
- Place squash, cut side down, on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Flip over and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. of Dash™ Onion & Herb Seasoning Blend over squash.
- Bake an additional 30 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- While squash is baking, add broth, rice and 1 Tbsp. Dash™ Onion & Herb Seasoning Blend to a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat. Simmer until all the broth is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Add water to a large skillet and turn heat on medium. Add the spinach and chickpeas.
- Cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted and most of the water is absorbed. Turn off heat.
- When rice is done, add it to the skillet and stir to combine.
- When squash is done, remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Scoop out flesh down to about 1/8 inch and place in a bowl.
- Mash the squash and the remaining 1 Tbsp. Dash™ Onion & Herb Seasoning Blend with a fork then scoop back into the shells.
- Top with rice mixture then top with cheese.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cut each half of squash in half and plate.
- Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds to serve.