Skip to content
Chicken Birria Tacos Recipe
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Total Time: 1 Hour + 25 Minutes
Yield: 12 Tacos
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 3 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 large, yellow onion, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- ¼ C. Dash™ Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 Spice Islands® Cinnamon Stick
- 4 med. tomatoes, large diced
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 C. reduced sodium chicken broth
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/3 C. Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 1 ½ C. queso fresco
- 1 C. pico de gallo
- Fresh lime wedges
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat.
- Season chicken thighs with black pepper then sear in pot 4-5 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from pot and set aside.
Add onion to pot and sauté for 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the seasoning mix, cinnamon stick, tomatoes, vinegar and broth and stir to combine.
- Place the chicken thighs back in the pot and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Place chicken on a cutting board. When cool enough, remove skin and bones and shred meat.
- Remove the cinnamon stick then puree the tomato mixture in a food processor or blender. Be careful
with the hot liquid.
- In a small skillet (about the size of the corn tortillas), add 2 tsp. of canola oil and heat over medium heat.
- Take one corn tortilla and dip it in the tomato puree then place it in the hot oil.
- Fry for 1 – 1 ½ minutes then flip.
- Sprinkle 2 Tbsp. cheese on top, cover and cook for 30 seconds to melt the cheese.
- Remove lid, add shredded chicken to half the tortilla, fold in half to form a taco and remove from pan.
- Repeat the process, adding teaspoons of oil as needed, with the remaining tortillas.
- Serve with pico de gallo, lime wedges, and small cups of tomato puree for dipping.