Now you can have two favorite zitis: your grandma's recipe and this healthy reincarnation.Try this dish with either Dash™ Tomato Basil Garlic or Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend. Spice is nice for those looking for an extra mouthful of joy.
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Yield: 2
- 6 slice provolone cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 diced onion
- 16 oz can diced low-sodium tomatoes
- 2 spicy Italian sausages
- 8 oz ziti pasta
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp Tomato Basil Garlic Seasoning Blend
- or Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Place Italian sausages in a small saucepan; pierce with a fork.
- Cover sausages with water and bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes.
- Discard water and cut sausages into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and onion; cook until tender.
- Add tomatoes and desired seasoning blend.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix in sour cream and pasta.
- In a 2-quart casserole dish sprayed with Baker’s Joy® No-Stick Spray, place half of the pasta mixture; top it with three slices of provolone cheese.
- Repeat pasta layer and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in 350-degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Tip: For a lower-calorie dish, substitute turkey sausage.
For a lower-calorie dish, substitute turkey sausage.