Cheesy Grits With Scallions
- Cheesy grits are a southern staple. Mixed with fresh scallions, onions and garlic, this dish is rip roaring and ready to be the perfect side.
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup regular grits
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 4 white and green scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Onion & Herb Seasoning Blend
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring the water and milk to a slow simmer in a 1-quart saucepot.
- Slowly add the grits and stir.
- Turn the heat to low and cover, stirring every five minutes until the grits have a consistency of oatmeal.
- When they are done, add the cheese and stir.
- Partially cover.
- While the grits are cooking, add the olive oil to a medium-sized warm sauté pan.
- Add the garlic and onions and sauté slowly until they are clear but not brown.
- Next, add the scallions and toss with onion mix and Onion & Herb Seasoning Blend.
- Cook gently.
- Plate the grits to bowls.
- Top with the onion mix.