Skip to content
- Spice lovers unite with this wonderful Tamale Pie recipe. Flavorful meats and vegetables and shredded cheese help create a hearty dinner dish.
Cook Time: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- 4 cup water
- 17 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
- 3 tbsp Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend
- 2 tsp Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend
- 1 thinly sliced medium tomato
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 4 tsp corn oil
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat and reduced-salt cheddar cheese
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 8 oz can salt-free tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped Spanish onion
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine cornmeal and 1 cup water in large bowl.
- Bring the remaining water to a boil in large saucepan.
- Remove from heat; stir in cornmeal mixture.
- Stir constantly for 5 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in 2 teaspoons Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend and corn.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large skillet.
- Add onion and cook until tender.
- Add beef and cook until no longer pink; drain fat.
- Add tomato sauce and remaining Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend; mix well.
- Lightly oil 2-quart casserole, using remaining 1 teaspoon oil.
- Spoon corn mixture into casserole, pushing it up sides of dish and smoothing with moistened spatula to make uniform thick crust.
- Spoon meat mixture evenly over corn crust.
- Sprinkle cheeses around edge of beef, near crust.
- Bake 1 hour.
- Serve hot.